Calvary Presbyterian Church began as a Sunday School. This Union Sunday School was organized in 1887 and met in the log cabin of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Stevenson in Enumclaw.
On the evening of September 12, 1892 twenty-four men and women met at the Enumclaw Schoolhouse with Dr. John Thompson of the Presbytery of Olympia to organize the Presbyterian Church of Enumclaw. Only a couple months later on November 2, 1892 the Church Trustees agreed to the current name of Calvary Presbyterian Church.
The original church was begun in 1894 on land donated by the Stevensons, and finished in 1895. The total cost was less than $1,000 due to much of the material and labor being donated. The present church building was erected in 1920 and the old church was moved to become the West wing. The Christian Education building was given by the Weyerhaeuser Company in 1964 and moved to its current location from the Enumclaw Mill site. In the mid 1980's the current Church Office building was purchased and renovated to serve the strong growth Calvary was experiencing.
Only 13 pastors have served Calvary during its long history. Our 14th pastor, the Reverend Lynell Caudillo was installed May 3, 2015.
The question of denominational affiliation had been swirling around for several years. Between January-June, 2016 the Session and congregation went through "A Season of Discovery" led by Renewal Ministries NW, where we sought God's guidance by reading scripture, reflecting, and praying. This healing and discerning process resulted in the development of a "charism" which states what Calvary's Holy Spirit given gift is.
A legacy of worshiping God and serving others.
In July and August, 2016 the Session sought input from the congregation via a forum, personal visits, letters, emails, texts, and phone calls. Over 50 people gave their input to Session.
On September 21, 2016 the Session unanimously voted to remain in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
We are excited for what God will bring as Calvary approaches its 125th Anniversary in 2017 and beyond.